Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Monday, December 04, 2006

The Simple Pleasures...

One of the many things I love about living in Japan is making new discoveries. This is just a simple Tokyo neighbourhood with a nondescript ferro-concrete house with barred windows and some overgrown azalea bushes...yet it also has one of my favourite things...a stone lantern ! Granted it's not the most gorgeous example of a stone lantern...but it's a stone lantern nonetheless - and they always make me smile!




And then I walk further down the street and I spy a giant red paper lantern. Yes, it may be looking a little worse for wear...but look at the love bestowed upon it. It's covered with a plastic sheet to help protect it from the elements. These red paper lanterns are used to advertise drinking establishments - especially hole-in-the-wall izakayas like this one...At night time they are usually lit up and look even more spectacular! This lantern has been hung quite high as it's over a footpath, usually they hang quite low to the ground. I found these lanterns on our walk to Mukojima Hyakkaen...but the beauty of Tokyo is that you can see these kinds of objects...everywhere!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 6:20 pm, Blogger nutmeg said…

    Ahhh, a stroll down the streets of Tokyo all from the comfort of my own home.

    I just read your comment on my blog about the stationery in Japan. I have a feeling it would be a pure heaven/hell for me. I would want to purchase too much. In Sydney we now have a bookstore called Kinokuniya and I have to meter out my jaunts there as it carries alot of Japanese stationery items. I remember at the start of my addiction (when I was around 8 or 9) I purchased my very first Hello Kitty item - a little clip pad with matching paper and a pencil - my eyes are misting over as I write :-)

     
  • At 10:19 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Nutmeg: Kinokuniya is one of the biggest bookshops here...it was my saviour before Amazon Japan started up. Did you ever use the Hello Kitty clip pad & pencil?! I think I'm going to have to post some photos of stationery...you've been warned ;)

     
  • At 6:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ahhhh, thanks for feeding my Japan addiction...oh, and stationery stores were to DIE for there!

     
  • At 12:11 am, Blogger Carli N. Wendell said…

    I wonder if Japanese folks come here and have similar feelings about barber shops.

    Here from M.

     
  • At 12:15 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Carli: I'm sure they do...that's the beauty of travel!

     
  • At 1:09 am, Blogger carmilevy said…

    There is immense beauty in simplicity. It is through the everyday that we can truly get a sense of a place. You've captured the magic of your neighborhood, and have made me want to experience more of it.

    Happy sigh...

     
  • At 1:41 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Carmi: Thanks for your kind words...I have many more Tokyo shots...so stay tuned!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals