Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Saturday, June 17, 2006

I Spy, with my little eye, something beginning with...R:

As promised,
here are my responses to
Carolyn's
assigned letter of:


(The letter R is brought to you from Scribblaphy )

Now, the rules state that you must list 10 words starting with your assigned letter and explain why those words have meaning to you. But come on people, when have I ever followed the
meme rules?! (Oh yeah, I did once!) Which moves me nicely into the first word:
1. Rebel: I've never been one to follow the well-worn path for the mere sake of toeing the line. In fact, I've always tended to question rules and the status quo. Note that I question because I wish to understand and improve, not because I'm an anarchist...there's a subtle difference between the two. So what started me on this relentless questioning?! Well, that would be the 2nd word:


(This ravishing reading beauty is brought to you from a Google Images search)

2. Reading: I live to read. I could quite happily live without TV, movies and music as long as I had books. As a child, my punishment for naughtiness would always involve the removal of reading privileges. In school, I used to read during classes - I'd conceal the book under my desk while my teacher wasn't looking. As far as I'm concerned, books are the gateway to new worlds, adventures and ideas and I'm forever grateful that I have the ability to read. My final "R" words are different but related:


(This roly-poly rabbit is brought to you from Boomersint)

3. Rabbits: What do rabbits have to do with reading, I hear you mutter... Well I'm about to use a lot of "R" words so stick with me! Growing up I was more into vampire novels (
Anne Rice) than Fabio-style bodice-rippers, however I was always partial to "quality" romantic tragedies such as Romeo and Juliet. With such memorable lines as:
"Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."
(Act 1 Scene 5)
How could a girl not swoon? But I never would have guessed that my very own Romeo would turn out to be a Japanese usagi (rabbit)! Uh-huh, my better half was born in the Year of the Rabbit, so the letter "R" has become very significant to me, as has our final word:


(These radiant roses are brought to you from my camera!)

4. Romance: True romance is not just about roses and rings (both of which I have, by the way!). To me, it is more rhapsodic and redolent than the fleeting nature of petals. It is tangible and reviving and it reveals itself in numerous ways - the gorgeous bouquet above, is just one! It makes reality delightful.
If you wish to join the alphabetic fun, I'll leave you to choose your own letter. Just leave a comment, so I can visit your scribblings!
Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

  • At 2:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I too loved Anne Rice. I still keep her books on my shelf.

    Michele sent me today...and good for you for being a rebel!

     
  • At 2:26 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Thanks Deana, unfortunately "rebel" generally has only negative connotations nowadays. I prefer to view it in terms of "challenger"!

     
  • At 2:35 am, Blogger Paste said…

    You seem to be a night bird in Japan!
    Here from Michele's this early evening.

     
  • At 2:40 am, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Wonderful list! I've done the Alphabet thingy only we all had to do ten words! Your 4 were so very interesting, I'd love to see 6 more! And I love the pictures, too...

    Here from Michele today and so nice to Meet & Greet you!

     
  • At 3:00 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Hi Paste, I've always been night owlish ;)

    OOLOTH, Thanks, I was supposed to do 10...I just "rebelled" :p

     
  • At 3:03 am, Blogger Michelle said…

    Here from Michele's. Beautiful roses!

     
  • At 3:09 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    They are even more beautiful in real life!

     
  • At 3:38 am, Blogger Bearette said…

    Very creative! My parents never thought to remove my reading privileges..what a yucky punishment ;)

    i remember when i worked at a movie theater during college summers, i loved working in the box office b/c it was 100% kosher to read there (as long as there weren't any customers). Once, though, i was working with an obnoxious guy in the box office. i was reading "The Game" by A.S. Byatt and put it down to answer the phone. When I went back to it, I saw a yellow post-it that said, "Cassandra dies in the end."

     
  • At 3:42 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    No...that's pure evil (I actually gasped audibly when I just read this!)

     
  • At 5:00 am, Blogger Sandy said…

    Job well done. I've seen this meme a lot lately. Some pull it off well. Others, not so much. Glad I got to read a good one today.

    I'm also making my way here via Michele's.

     
  • At 5:03 am, Blogger sage said…

    Here from Michele's. You have six more to go, but then maybe 'rithmetic ain't your strong suit. But then too, you are a rebel. So am I.

     
  • At 5:19 am, Blogger Amanda said…

    Here from Michele's!

     
  • At 11:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done and very creative.

     
  • At 12:23 pm, Blogger www.stepherz.com said…

    I just did the same meme, it's a small world!

    The flowers are beautiful!

     
  • At 3:17 pm, Blogger vanx said…

    I like this exercise. I would take Q and start with Quixotic and go from there.

     
  • At 9:02 pm, Blogger Elsa said…

    I like your "R" words. I totally relate to the Reading and Rebel - the way you define rebel. There is nothing wrong with questioning to try to understand and not follow blindly.

    And, of course, I love ROMANCE :-)

     
  • At 2:32 am, Blogger ribbiticus said…

    great list! i especially liked how you described romance. ;)

     
  • At 5:07 pm, Blogger Malinda777 said…

    I'm not a big meme gal, but hey I'll have some fun at your house :)
    You chose R, I'll try 10

    Romance-A true one, the adventure of a lifetime

    Raunchy - strong word, sometimes bad, sometimes cool

    Repetition - I hate ramblers that constantly repeat themselves

    Right Wing - :) I am

    Revelation - It's always fun to learn something new

    Rebelious - A little in all of us

    Retention - Harder as age creeps in :)

    Well, there's a few... Here from Michele

     
  • At 10:57 pm, Blogger Amy said…

    I loved your list, but especially reading. That was an accurate description of my childhood as well, lost in a book while others were outside playing, reading in school (but not the textbook), etc.

     
  • At 2:41 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Thanks to you all for your kind words...My stomach is in knots right now watching the Australia - Brazil game, as Brazil has scored a goal. I'm not losing faith though!

     
  • At 5:53 am, Blogger Caro said…

    Ha ha. I used to try to sneak books in class too.

    They were much more interesting than the teacher.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals