Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Ash-coloured Pouch Bears...

Australia is not only home to the marvellous Socceroos,
but something even cuddlier...
Phascolarctos Cinereus or the Koala!

In the wild, koalas will live in loose-knit groups if enough suitable
Eucalyptus trees are present - but only one koala per tree.
Similar to humans, female koalas mature earlier than the males...
2 years as opposed to 3-4 years!



The koala's pear-shaped body allows them to balance more readily in trees. Their opposable digits enable them to grip tree trunks more readily. Additionally they have rough pads for grip on the underside of their paws to increase their traction while climbing.



An adult koala will eat between 1-2 kilograms of gum leaves per night and their large noses are sensitive enough to allow them to select the choicest eucalyptus leaves. The connoisseurs of the Aussie bush!



The nutrition they receive from gum leaves is quite poor, consequently they have little energy and hence spend most of their time sleeping.
The original couch potatoes?!



Koalas don't have sweat glands. They cool themselves by licking their arms and spreading them as they rest in the trees.
Not a bad life!

Photos taken by me at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Brisbane in December 2004.
 Posted by Picasa

14 Comments:

  • At 2:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the Aussie content on your blog. Go Aussies

     
  • At 2:22 am, Blogger Bearette said…

    i feel bad for them not getting enough nutrition :( but they are very cute.

     
  • At 7:14 am, Blogger Caro said…

    What cute pics!

     
  • At 8:26 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Well, It'd be unpatriotic of me not to embrace my Aussieness right now G&GA ;)

    Bearette, They are cute, aren't they? A lot of people think they are actually drunk on the gum leaves - but it's just that they need to take a multivitamin!

    Liz, Although they are a bit smelly, they are really soft too - and it's amazing when you get to cuddle them. A lot of places don't let you hold them anymore - due to the stress it can cause them. Places where you can still take a photo with them, limit the amount of visitors each day.

    Carolyn, My fave is the koala on the right in the 3rd shot and the koala snacking :D

     
  • At 10:30 am, Blogger Elsa said…

    I love the pics! And very interesting info on the koalas. I don't think I've ever seen a koala in person.

    Similar to humans, female koalas mature earlier than the males...
    Not surprising ;) (For all you males out there - I'm just kidding!)

    BTW, I saw your comment on PITM blog - great minds once again! ;)

     
  • At 10:47 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Elsa, I couldn't resist the "maturity" dig, and I hope you get the chance to meet a koala in person one day!

    We'll have to change our handle to GMs ;)

     
  • At 10:58 am, Blogger Caro said…

    That one on the right is my favorite too. I like the way his nose looks.

     
  • At 11:14 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    I bet he gets the best leaves with that honker :D

     
  • At 11:22 am, Blogger www.stepherz.com said…

    Oh! How cute! I'd love to be able to say I cuddled a koala!

     
  • At 11:28 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    My first time was during pre-school and my most recent cuddle was the day I took these photos!

     
  • At 4:03 pm, Blogger My float said…

    Cute but boy do they have bad tempers! Hey, just like me!!

     
  • At 9:21 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    I like the way it's only their arms they lick!

    Do you have the sharp claws too MF?!

     
  • At 7:22 am, Blogger My float said…

    No, I chew on mine unfortunately. But my metaphorical claws, ah, that's a different matter!!

    Hey, have you seen the new Socceroo?? He's very cute. Swing by me and catch a glimpse.

     
  • At 11:04 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    LOL MF! And the newest Socceroo looks as though he'll fit the team perfectly :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals