Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Saturday, May 06, 2006

More than sushi...

Since moving to Japan my food vocabulary has expanded remarkably. So many Japanese dishes have become my favourites, so I'm listing some of them for your vicarious pleasure:
  • Takoyaki - Little balls of octopussy goodness smothered in a rich tare sauce, mayo, katsuobushi flakes (shaved, dried bonito) and a light sprinkling of nori.
  • Sushi & Sashimi - sashimi is the raw fish, sushi is the lightly vinegared rice served with raw fish. I particularly love salmon, tuna, squid, octopus and shrimp.
  • Onigiri - the Japanese sandwich. A ball of rice with a small amount of filling inside ranging from ume - boshi, tuna, salmon etc., wrapped in crispy seaweed. Portable, nutritious and delicious - what more could you want?
  • Edamame - Boiled, salted soybeans cooked in their pod. You suck the beans out through the pod. Excellent with beer!
  • Imagawayaki (I'll have kuriimu please!) - A Japanese sweet made with a slightly salty dough filled with cream (a kind of custard) and shaped into a circle and cooked on a hot plate.
  • Okonomiyaki - Savoury Japanese pancake (most translations say pizza but in my opinion pancake is a more accurate description!) Fillings range from meat, fish, veges, to the limit of your imagination. Always contains flour, water, egg and cabbage. Cooked on a hot plate and served with a rich tare sauce, mayo and nori...often with katsuobushi too!
  • Miso shiru (Miso soup) - simple but perfection in itself. I prefer it with negi, wakame and fresh tofu.
  • Warabimochi - Looks like eyeballs but tastes like heaven...gelatinous bracken starch balls served with kinako powder and a rich black sugar sauce...they are divine when refrigerated!
  • Gobo salad - Julienned gobo (burdock root) with carrots, sesame dressing and usually sprinkled with sesame seeds. Slightly nutty flavour.
  • Daikon - the giant white radish. Delicious grated on top of meat or served in salads, soups or casseroles.

Itadakimasu!

12 Comments:

  • At 10:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't know there were so many other foods in Japan, I only knew sushi and sookiyaki :-)

     
  • At 6:35 am, Blogger Elsa said…

    I always learn something on your site, VK. I'm now getting very hungry!

     
  • At 6:04 pm, Blogger My float said…

    I think I recognise two items on your list: sushi and sashimi! The rest sounds very interesting, though. I must go to a Japanese restaurant and try out my new vocabulary, thanks to you, VK!

     
  • At 8:53 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    I've barely even started Antonia...there are so many wonderful foods here :D

    Thanks for dropping by cervaggio!

     
  • At 8:55 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Glad to be of service elsa...I was feeling pretty peckish as I typed the list up :D

    I'd be interested in hearing about any Japanese restaurants you do happen to visit MF...good luck with the menu ;)

     
  • At 12:12 am, Blogger Lou said…

    I think Sushi is the only thing I've had that you mention (tuna and eel being my favorites). I'm always up to trying new foods though. May have to find a reputable place that serves other Japanese foods than just Sushi.

     
  • At 12:49 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    I'm not an eel fan Lou as they look a little too snakelike for my comfort :D

     
  • At 3:26 am, Blogger Miss Kim said…

    I get soooo mad with myself when I think about te many years I refused to eat Sushi etc. I thought I didn't like it. But then one day.... I tried it because my friends threw a party for me at a fabulous Sushi place and well-- I HAD to eat it. Now I ADORE it and wish I could eat it much more often!

     
  • At 11:06 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Well at least you are onboard the sushi train now T1...the taste really depends on the freshness of the fish :D

     
  • At 4:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Edamame IS strangely addictive isn't it? If you had told me a few years ago I'd drink beer and suck on peas I would have told you to take a hike, but once you start you just can't stop!

     
  • At 11:42 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Welcome nihao...I also never imagined that I'd choose to eat cold beans with beer...ahh the joys of submersing yourself in another culture :D

     
  • At 4:03 am, Blogger Janet said…

    OMG I'm so homesick for Japan now! With the exception of takoyaki and imagawayaki, I love each and every thing you mentioned...especially okonomiyaki! I mean...I want to go back to Japan just for that LOL! Umeboshi, omg, YUM!

    You're sooooooooooo lucky!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals