Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Geoluhread strikes again...

As you now know, I am obsessed with stone lanterns...today you will discover my other little secret:



I love the torii (gates) found in shrines. The torii can be made of stone or wood and they mark the approach and entrance to the shrine. The vermillion ones are the most common - and I like these the best!



I especially love it when they are covered with the shimenawa (straw rope with white zigzag paper strips). The shimenawa indicates a boundary to something sacred.



Finding torii and a stone lantern together - Priceless!
 Posted by Picasa

13 Comments:

  • At 1:50 am, Blogger Bearette said…

    how beautiful! i can see why your camera gets a good workout ;)

     
  • At 5:22 am, Blogger Lou said…

    Beutiful colors. I always loved those things (torii) but never knew their name. Now I know their name. They always reminded me of my favorite mathematical symbol pi.

     
  • At 8:44 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Arigato Bearette, I don't want my camera to get flabby :p

     
  • At 8:47 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Oh, you should definitely visit Japan Liz!

     
  • At 8:53 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Lou, they were orginally designed as a bird perch to coax the Japanese sun goddess Amaterasu out of hiding from a cave. Due to their success at doing so, they have become a symbol of prosperity and good fortune. The kanji for torii means bird (tori) and place (i)...They do look like pi :)

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger Caro said…

    You post the most beautiful pictures. I truly love them.

    I've never left the U.S. except for Canada and Mexico when I was a kid.

    I don't know if we'll ever get to see more of the world, but I enjoy it through your pictures.

     
  • At 3:54 pm, Blogger Elsa said…

    Once again, beautiful pictures. And I always learn something new on your blog - thanks!

     
  • At 11:53 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Carolyn, well a picture is supposed to be worth a 1000 words :)

    I'm happy you can experience the world via my photos - I hope you get to do it for real one day...it's an amazing place!

     
  • At 11:54 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Elsa - you're welcome :)

     
  • At 12:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These pictures are stunning. I love visting your blog :-)

     
  • At 12:52 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Thanks Antonia...you are too kind :)

     
  • At 3:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't surfed by here recently. Great pics with good color!!!

     
  • At 10:37 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Glad to have you back x baby!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals