Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The apples of love...

After reading about Ivonne's delicious tomato soup, I was inspired to create something tomatoey for dinner on Sunday night...



1 onion (diced)
a few handfuls of mushrooms (sliced)
1 carrot (sliced)
1 eggplant AKA aubergine (sliced)
5 sun dried tomatoes
basil
oregano
ground cumin
ground coriander
ground cardamom
olive oil
as much crushed garlic as you like (I used about 5 cloves)
white wine
2 fresh tomatoes (chopped)
1 can of tomatoes - crushed or whole (I used the ones we purchased at
Costco)
as much spinach as you like (I used a lot because we love it!)
cracked black pepper

1. Saute the onion, mushrooms, carrot, eggplant and sun dried tomatoes with the herbs and spices in a little olive oil.
2. Add the garlic and a splash or two of white wine - simmer until absorbed (the dried tomatoes will be starting to plump up).
3. Add the fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes and stir well. Put a lid on it and let it simmer for as long as you like.
4. Just before serving add the spinach and cook until just wilted.
5. Season with cracked black pepper.



Dollop artfully over some kind of carb - I used gnocchi but rice or pasta would work equally well - and dig in!

And the verdict: well I planned to have the leftovers for my lunch the next day...but there were none :p

BTW if you happen to visit
Cream Puffs In Venice you absolutely, positively must look at the most sinfully gooeylicious cheesecake ever!
 Posted by Picasa

13 Comments:

  • At 1:48 am, Blogger Elsa said…

    That looks delicious. I'm so hungry now...time to have lunch.

     
  • At 2:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The colors look so springy :-)

     
  • At 6:32 am, Blogger Caro said…

    Oh that looks yummy.

    I can't wait until the kids get older and will hopefully eat vegetables so I can cook more stuff like that!

     
  • At 8:16 pm, Blogger GG said…

    Hey Vernicious, what a fab recipe. If I actually cooked I would so do that! Looks delicious. I love your blog too, I'm just making my way through it now!
    GG.

     
  • At 8:45 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Thanks Elsa...it was yummy :)

     
  • At 8:46 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Antonia: I love eating colourful food!

     
  • At 8:48 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Carolyn: I ate veges from a very early age - and I've always loved them. It's a shame most kids don't like them so much - they don't know what they are missing :)

     
  • At 8:50 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Thanks GG and welcome...hope you enjoy your stay :p

     
  • At 10:06 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Thanks Liz - I really think food tastes better when it's full of colour...eating is more than just the taste :)

     
  • At 6:23 pm, Blogger My float said…

    Mmmmm...sounds delicious. This is on my cooking 'to do' list this weekend. Hopefully there'll be enough for leftovers!!

     
  • At 11:56 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Hi my float; I hope you have better luck with the "leftovers" situation :p

     
  • At 3:03 pm, Blogger Amy said…

    looks incredibly tasty!

     
  • At 12:22 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Hi Amy: it was very good...and the best part was how fast it was to prepare and cook :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals