Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Sunday, January 28, 2007

6 Weird Things Meme:

Oops...I've been slack in posting my response to H&B's tag, so here without further ado are my answers.

weird
1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of the preternatural or supernatural.
2. Of a strikingly odd or unusual character; strange.
3. Archaic. Of or relating to fate or the Fates.

6 Weird Things about Japan:
  1. TV: There is a bewildering array of bizarre TV shows to choose from including Chimpan News Channel and you have the pleasure of paying NHK (the state run TV station) every two months for owning a colour TV. Also, programmes rarely start on the hour or half hour, instead they start at 12:24, 7:58, 1:05, 4:55, etc.
  2. Vending machines are ubiquitous and sell everything, even ice cream!
  3. Hikikomori 引き篭り - People, generally men, who choose to cut themselves off from the rest of society. They tend to stay in their rooms playing video games and watching tv. Most say that they withdraw due to the intense pressure to conform to societal pressures.
  4. Engrish: "When it is crowded, there is the situation that cannot be carried on the boat which you want to board."

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

  • At 8:47 pm, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Here from Michele this early A.M.
    These ARE VERY weird things! (lol)
    But then, maybe they are not weired to the natives...I think I could withoit those eyeballs for the rest of my life and not feel I have missed anything special! Am I wrong?

     
  • At 8:50 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    OOLOTH: Weird is always in the eye of the beholder...but I do love the eyeballs ;)

     
  • At 8:51 pm, Blogger rashbre said…

    There are some things about the intensity of modern Japan, that it is almost impossible for a Westerner to comprehend. Great for you to point a few items out! The Akiba girls do bring a certain unique manga - like kawaii to things but I'm not sure that its very geek-chic.

    Here via Michele! Hiya!

    rashbre

     
  • At 8:53 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Rashbre: LOL...they are definitely chic-er than anime-otaku ;)

     
  • At 4:01 am, Blogger Caro said…

    #5 sounds like an American teenager to me!

     
  • At 11:12 am, Blogger nutmeg said…

    The precise but irregular TV starting times cracked me up.

    I saw a documentary on those Hikikomori. I was wondering if I snuck off and did this would anyone notice me gone? It looks kinda seductive in its way (this from a harried mum!)

     
  • At 4:07 pm, Blogger Bybee said…

    I must do a list about Korea.

    I read about the Hikikomori in a book called Party Of One: A Loner's Manifesto.

     
  • At 8:17 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Carolyn: LOL...it's just taken to extremes here!

    Nutmeg: It's often a tempting thought!

    Bybee: I'd be interested in a Korean list!

     
  • At 2:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmmm...Hikikomori...that sounds like me!

     
  • At 7:36 am, Blogger meggie said…

    This was a very weird tour!
    what is it about Japanese & the apes??
    Or was it Chinese- remember Monkey?

     
  • At 2:07 pm, Blogger www.stepherz.com said…

    The girls look as though they just barely missed the Spice Girls rage. THat's probably why the Spice Girls didn't last-- they were missing their "Akiba Spice".

    I think the Hikikomori are smart in one aspect-- the overpopulation in Japan would make a lot of people want to just hide out and keep to themselves.

     
  • At 2:57 pm, Blogger LBA said…

    Ha - the Chimp TV reminded me of that ep of "The Simpsons" when they won a trip to Japan. Very funny ;)

    Also - are the weird times due to no ads ( like the ABC here at home ? ). I can't imagine Japan without advertising though .. ;)

     
  • At 5:01 pm, Blogger My float said…

    I've read about the hikikomori, it's a fascinating phenomenon. I can (almost) understand how they feel - I feel like crawling into my house and staying there 24/7 too!

     
  • At 11:13 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Janet: Do your parents leave meals outside your door for you too?!

    Meggie: I loved Monkey...I watch the J-version sometimes for a laugh.

    Stepherz: "Akiba Spice" - I love it!

    H&B: There are MILLIONS of ads on J-TV...the weird times are a throwback to when the networks competed with each other to capture viewers so started their shows earlier and earlier...now the times have just stuck.

    MF: With all the screaming around you recently...it may not be the best choice!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals