Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Monday, June 19, 2006

The news gets worse...

Not only am I dealing with the disappointment of the Australia - Brazil game, but now it looks as though Japan may soon be the target of a North Korean missile test. They appear to have finished fuelling a long-range ballistic missile - most likely a Taep'o-Dong 2 missile. Experts believe they have stockpiled enough plutonium for 6 nuclear weapons but no-one really knows for sure.



(Official coat of arms taken from North Korea's Official Homepage)

Taro Aso, the Japanese Foreign Minister, added fuel to the fire by saying "If it is dropped on Japan, it will complicate the story. It will be regarded as an attack." He later clarified with "We will not right away regard it as a military attack." Disturbingly, he is considered one of the most likely successors to Koizumi when his term as Prime Minister expires in September 2006.

Pyongyang Art Studio - based in Beijing - has some interesting posters and artwork for sale, as does North Korea Propaganda.
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

  • At 12:58 am, Blogger Lou said…

    I hate to hear these things. Cathie and I talked about this a lot this weekend. This is a very scary situation.

    What is the general feeling there today? Tense?

    Not sure what else to say.

     
  • At 2:21 am, Blogger Elsa said…

    I agree with Lou - this is very scary. What a difficult political situation - dealing with North Korea. Like Lou, I don't know what else to say. I hope this is resolved satisfactorily very soon.

     
  • At 4:38 am, Blogger www.stepherz.com said…

    I'm very sorry, there must be such a depressed air to the people right now? I really wish we could just take all of the greedy, powerful, hateful people and put them on their own planet where they can drill all the oil they want, kill each other, shoot one another, rape each other, pillage, steal, or whatever it is that makes them happy. If only the rest of the world, the people like you and I, could just be left out of their power struggles and their testosterone war games, the world would be peaceful. I think they are aliens. I think they pull off their costumes every night before bed to reveal nasty, ugly reptilian creatures. And I wish they'd take their green scales and webbed feet and go back where they came from and let the rest of us just live.

     
  • At 5:50 am, Blogger Caro said…

    Yeah, what Stepherz said!

     
  • At 5:52 am, Blogger My float said…

    Do I sound too much like a mother by saying, "I think it's time to come home now" ?

    I don't understand why we don't learn from the lessons of the past....all the wars and conflicts. How stupid are we?

     
  • At 7:37 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    I really wish that Stepherz was right, that all the hatred, suffering and bloodshed was caused by aliens. Unfortunately, it seems to be just another human characteristic.

    As we're supposed to be the "intelligent species", I wonder when exactly we are going to start demonstrating some of this supposed intelligence we possess.

    Regarding the mood over here...a lot of people actually seem unaware of the gravity of the situation. In my opinion, the scariest thing is the unpredictability of North Korea...we just don't know what they are actually up to - or even capable of.

    But...life goes on!

     
  • At 1:46 am, Blogger Evan said…

    I wouldn't be overly worried, as Mr. Jong-il has always conducted himself in a rational fashion and listened carefully and thoughtfully to the diplomatic overtures of other heads of state . . .

     
  • At 11:39 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    That made me laugh Evan!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals