Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

"Peter Quint - you devil!"

Over the weekend I finished my second choice - The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - of the 2007 Winter Classics Challenge hosted by A Reader's Journal - this post provides all the details of the challenge.

The Turn of the Screw is "widely recognised as one of literature's most gripping ghost stories", unfortunately I am obviously missing a literature gene as despite trying my darndest, I utterly failed to be gripped by this short gothic novella. It contains all the ingredients which usually captivate me; a bucolic English country estate, sinister supernatural spirits and unexplained occurrences along with the need to fully utilise your own imagination. But, something was missing for me, I hope you have more luck.

"What I had said to Mrs Grose was true enough: there were in the matter I had put before her depths and possibilities that I lacked resolution to sound; so that when we met once more in the wonder of it we were of a common mind about the duty of resistance to extravagant fancies." (James, 1991:33)

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 1:12 am, Blogger Bearette said…

    I actually did like Turn of the Screw, though I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea. Especially since it's the only Henry James book I liked! Portrait of a Lady was DULL.

     
  • At 3:21 am, Blogger Elsa said…

    Well, I guess I won't be reading that one anytime soon. I'm not sure if I've ever read Henry James - my bad.

     
  • At 5:40 am, Blogger My float said…

    I read Turn of the Screw a long time ago. I don't remember it. Case closed!

     
  • At 7:59 am, Blogger Booklogged said…

    If you missed the point, I'm sure I would. Glad it wasn't too long.

     
  • At 12:44 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Bearette: I'm not too keen to try any others now!

    Elsa: It's good to see your little bunny ears again! Frankly, I don't think you are missing out on much by not reading this!

    MF: Sounds good to me!

    Booklogged: Although it was only 87 pages...it dragged on forever!

     
  • At 2:38 pm, Blogger Dak-Ind said…

    greetings! michele sent me.

    i LOVE to read. i read everything i can get my hands on. However, I am overly fond of Dean koontz. I'm all about scary suspenseful happy endings good over evil. I am also a sucker for all the Templar themed books that have become the rage lately.

    i am always open to suggestions, though!

     
  • At 2:41 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Dak-ind: Welcome...I really don't suggest this one though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals