Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Sunday, July 09, 2006

"Another shirt ruined..."

I have been engrossed in Victorian-era Egypt and the charming exploits of the redoubtable Amelia Peabody. I first made the acquaintance of Ms Peabody and her collection of parasols in Crocodile on the Sandbank:



The love of my beloved is on yonder side
A width of water is between us
And a crocodile waiteth on the sandbank.
(Ancient Egyptian love poem)

Fortunately Amelia is able to overcome the crocodile and find her own true love, the irascible Radcliffe Emerson, a man who is as hard on crockery as he is on his shirts! Their adventures continue in Curse of the Pharaohs:



It's a thrilling ride and I'm now anxiously awaiting the next instalment - The Mummy Case!

(Images from Amazon.co.uk
)
 Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 5:52 pm, Blogger Sarah Jane said…

    I am going to hear Zadie Smith speak this Thursday in an interview about her latest, On Beauty - I'm so stoked! It just so happens that I am half-way through her book, so I will actually be able to ask her questions that relate.

    Happy reading my fellow book loving friend!

    DOn't know the ones you are reading now, but will look out for them.

    Michelle is the reason I came!

     
  • At 6:49 pm, Blogger My float said…

    Ooh, sounds great. Have just finished reading the latest Paulina Simmons and am still crying. It's a fairly decent summer read. Have you read the Julie/Julia project? I'ts quite amusing!

     
  • At 10:48 pm, Blogger Elsa said…

    Darn! Why, oh why, must you do this to me, VK? My wishlist is now at 535! :-)

     
  • At 11:48 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    That sounds like fun Vickie!

    I haven't read that MF...will have to check it out! And I like that you call it a summer read even though you are in the midst of a chilly winter ;)

    Elsa, you do realise that there are 18 books in the series?! My evil knows no bounds :p

     
  • At 1:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh I want to read these now to :-)

     
  • At 4:52 am, Blogger Elsa said…

    You certainly are evil, VK! ;)

     
  • At 1:35 am, Blogger Cin said…

    I do love her books. Having just finished Serpent on The Crown, I've been considering going back to the beginning and rereading the series...

    You've chosen a great time to start her books, as Tomb Of The Golden Bird was published earlier this year, bringing the total number of Amelia Peabody books up to 18...

     
  • At 4:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just found your blog today. Her books are excellent and I wish I was her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals