Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Camel Thing" explained...

In the neverending battle against mould and mildew, "Dorai & Dorai Up" is an essential household purchase.



Japan is about to experience tsuyu (rainy season) closely followed by a hot and steamy summer...perfect conditions for growing mould!



So we have several jyoshitsuki (desiccants) in various places around our apartment. Moisture from the air is absorbed into the container and collects in the bottom. It's actually kind of frightening how quickly the containers fill up!

Jyoshitsuki are generally sold in packs of 3 for about 200 yen and make the hot summers here a little bit more bearable (in that there's less cleaning to do)!
 Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

  • At 12:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was interesting. I like learning stuff from you :-))

     
  • At 1:17 am, Blogger Elsa said…

    Very interesting indeed! Thanks for making my brain bigger :) (Hopefully nothing fell out when I put this new information in.)

     
  • At 2:09 am, Blogger Caro said…

    Why do they not have this product in America?

    My back bathroom is a beeyotch to keep clean!

     
  • At 6:39 am, Blogger My float said…

    We have something similar in Australia. In fact there's one in my son's room because the roof is a bit dodgy and the room gets a bit of mould. It used to last about a month or two, but my son has just developed croup and so we use a steam vaporizer in his room which means it lasts about a week, LOL!

     
  • At 10:31 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Thanks Antonia :D

    LOL Elsa...

    Hmmm...an exporting opportunity for me Carolyn?!

    Liz, between 3-6 weeks usually...they work out to be about 62 cents (US) each - which I consider to be a real bargain :D

    I'm glad to hear they're in Oz MF...I hope he gets better soon!

     
  • At 5:27 pm, Blogger My float said…

    Well, the irony of this whole thing is that yesterday afternoon my son decided to climb upon the table that abuts his window (we're three storeys up) and ate some of the granules before throwing.handfuls.around.his.room.

    The Poisons Information Hotline says he should be FINE! Sigh. How many eyes does one person need??

     
  • At 5:47 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    He's obviously jealous of your status as Queen of the Universe! He'll be one dehydrated little boy...glad he's okay though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals