Vernicious Knids

Random musings and snapshots about life, love, travel and everything in between...

Monday, August 21, 2006

"Gossip is the creation of civilisation"

The relentless humidity continues but luckily I've had some welcome company. Three intriguing characters; Manlius Hippomanes, a philosopher in the final days of the Roman Empire, Olivier De Noyens, a medieval poet during the years of the Black Plague, and Julien Barneuve, living in Vichy France. One text links their stories, The Dream of Scipio:



It's a clever novel with some interesting points to make about civilisation and our failure to live civilly, not only today, but in every age.

"Do you think that the peace of a thousand cancels out the unjust death of one single person?" (Pears, 2002:389)

(Image from Amazon Japan)
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 1:13 am, Blogger Caro said…

    I know how we can live civilly. Lock all the men up and put the women in charge. LOL

    I'd better add that I'm kidding in case I offend male readers.

    Just kidding, really.

     
  • At 1:33 am, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    You may just have something there Carolyn ;)

     
  • At 5:58 am, Blogger Bearette said…

    lol...

     
  • At 12:18 pm, Blogger www.stepherz.com said…

    There is some truth to that. But I bet there is a female scientist that is helping to create the next biological weapon right now, somewhere out there. And she may even be a mother. Who knows?

    Anyhow, it does sound like an interesting book. Perhaps one we could learn a bit by reading...

     
  • At 5:51 am, Blogger My float said…

    Definitely - as long as the person who dies an unjust death isn't me or anyone I know!

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger MsCellania said…

    Is he the Instance of the Fingerpost author?! That was a difficult read, but a good one.

    Gosh, I get the best ideas for new reads amongst you Bookies!

     
  • At 11:24 pm, Blogger verniciousknids said…

    Carolyn & Bearette: Isn't it interesting how no men have commented on this thread :D

    Stepherz: It definitely makes you think...and I've always believed that to be a good thing. You are probably right about the weapons thing...unfortunately :(

    MF: It's such a tough question, each time I think about it I change my mind.

    Vickee: Yes he is! This was another "difficult" read, but enjoyable nonetheless. (And I am most definitely a bookie!)

     
  • At 10:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Peace of 1000 is better

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
counter
Online Movie Rentals